Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Photo Oppurtunities at Universal Studios

Up on the top of the hill before heading down to the Glamor Tram and the actual working studio, there used to be several set pieces and other movie items. These items were basically where the Simpson ride is now located. Some of the set pieces were very cool, such as this M-3 Stuart Tank. I am sure this piece was used in many a war film.

Other set pieces were just groovy, such as this psychedelic vehicle from the musical Sweet Charity.

Others were even interactive such as this monkey cage from Tolliver's Circus. I believe this was an actual circus wagon.

8 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Great series of pics. This was a real fun place for me and my kids. Years ago!

mark said...

That is not an M3. Looks like a Japanese tank

Anonymous said...

"Excuse me sir, you need to be on THIS side of the rope." Darn tourists......

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Is this the same area where the bionic man exhibit was? I recall you could "lift" a van up on its side just like Steve Austin! They also had a fake "snow" set there and a giant telephone. Cloudy memories indeed... Neat posts, thanks!

Major Pepperidge said...

Ha, I remember lifting that van! I ate my wheaties. I had a photo of a little girl in front of the Sweet Charity car, wonder how long that thing was on display?

jedblau said...

VDT: you're thinking of Prop Plaza, which was a stop during the good ol' days of the longer tram tour. Prop Plaza is still there, by the way, just up the road from the Jaws attraction/stop. I used to take my golf cart up there waaaay too often to revel in past memories.

jedblau said...

p.s. It's now used for private corporate events, but without the car and the gigantic phone, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

The giant phone was a "Land of the Giants" prop.
We have pics of us with friends in the monkey train - someplace - need to find them.
Thanks for posting these.