Friday, July 28, 2006

Souvenir Friday- Adventureland Tiki Items

Today I present two different Tiki items sold in Adventureland in the early 1960s. The first is a ceramic figure similar to those seen on the Tangaroa god in the Enchanted Tiki Room pre show. Some of these I have seen have added paint details or even some sort of grass necklace. They are very rare, and the best part is that right above the idols tush is marked Copyright Walt Disney Productions. The second is the set of Moai style salt and pepper shakers marked Disneyland on the back in a neat tropical kind of lettering. Though not as rare as the figure above, the shaker set is very nice. Both are wonderful souvenirs of the time when the birdies first started to sing and tikis took over Adventureland.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh man, that first little figure is very cool. Kind of strange in that no effort was made to make it cute. I'd love to find one of these!

Chris Merritt said...

Rare rare rare! I'd love to own one of those "Tangaroa babies" - I'd hang him next to my "Maui sun"!