Thursday, July 27, 2006

Opening Day in the Morning July 17, 1955

I like photographs taken when construction vehicles are still in Disneyland. This one appears to have been taken from a twin of the television camera tower directly opposite. I believe the tower was built at the entrance to Tomorrowland for some overhead shots of the parade and of Tomorrowland. I originally thought this was taken from Sleeping Beauty's Castle, but the location is not just right. As can be seen, the morning of opening day was very hectic with lots of activity including a forklift positioning something. I know a forklift was used as a camera stand on opening day as it can be seen in some of the footage.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

It does kind of look like the photo was taken near the entrance to Tomorrowland, though I could be mistaken. Who wouldn't love to have been at the park that morning!

Amazon Belle said...

Holy smokes that is a great photo! Again, look at the color on this... It appears to me that the photo was taken on the roof of the Red Wagon Inn. My thought is that Tomorrowland's entrance sits to the right of the tree (in the lower right corner), directly across from Frontierland. It also appears that there may be some presentation/training taking place on the bench in the hub. All those people gathered in the shade while someone is talking. You can see the band stand in the background too! WOW there is just so much going on here.

On a side note I always thought that was really cool that Frontierland was on the “West” side of the park because of where the sun sets. And that Tomorrowland was in the “East” where the moon rises. It makes for very dramatic photos that way.

Anonymous said...

It was my understanding that the east/west orientation of DL was determined by the row of very tall cypress (?) trees behind city hall. In the early proposal drawing of DL you'll see Adventureland is on the east side of the park, but someone (probably Bill Evans) thought the tall trees would provide the perfect windbreak for the sensitive tropical trees he was going to use on the Jungle Cruise, so Adventureland moved.

BTW, can anyone tell me why I can't see this picture? Quite often, I'll check in here and find a tantalizing description of a picture that isn't there!

Meanwhile, great site! I LOVE these photos of the DL I grew up in...

Ron Schneider

Chris Merritt said...

Amazing PJ!!!!!! Really nice - can't wait to see the whole set...