Thursday, October 11, 2007

Main Street Outdoor Vending Carts 1965

One of the long standing traditions at Disneyland is the Popcorn vendor and Ice Cream vendor in the Plaza on Main Street. The Popcorn cart is on the Frontierland side and has quite a crowd. I like the bobby soxer with her haircut and the older couple enjoying their popcorn.

The next shot is of the Ice Cream Vendor on the Tomorrowland side, right in front of the Monsanto Home. The lady with the Enid Collins purse is a nice touch. The photograph is date stamped June 22, 1965.

6 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

I'm glad somebody was documenting ODV in the 1960s! A 15 cent box of popcorn sounds good...

Major Pepperidge said...

Enid Collins purse? I don't know what that is, but I am impressed with your fashion knowledge!

walterworld said...

Nice to see the shot of the Popcorn cart at the Plaza. I had no idea it had been at that location for so long...

I wonder if the old Popcorn carts had the little doll-like characters turning the wheels, 'making' the popcorn?

It might be a nice phot essay to document each of the carts presently at the park...hmmm...Yes! a new mania for me to pursue!

BTW, I have some shots of two carts from 1978 and popcorn was 40 cents then.

Take care and Good Work !!!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Major- Enid Collins was a designer of large purses in the 1960's. Her purses are real popular amongst collectors. I have sold several for nice money!

Major Pepperidge said...

That's cool, Matterhorn...a little knowledge is a great thing if you are going to flea markets and garage sales. Who knows what treasures I've walked right past!

Anonymous said...

That's Pete Gavin on PC4 (working extra). Re WalterWorld's question: all PC wagons had the same animation in the 60s - a clown. The guy on IC2 is the assistant manager, Jack Mitchell, who should be wearing his straw hat (why he looks a bit concerned at having his picture taken).