Sunday, August 27, 2006

Marineland of the Pacific Performance

Two great views of the extinct Marineland of the Paciifc theater located in Palos Verdes south of Los Angeles. Actually, the location is not that extinct as it was the set for the seaside town and fort in the Pirates of the Carribbean films as well as a popular wedding reception site. Although a park I did not grow up with as Sea World was located in San Diego and was the ocean themed park I grew up with, I have developed an appreciation for Marinelend. The architecture of the buildings had great lines and the setting was spectacular. The shows here were much more sedate and not as campy as at Sea World. The costume of the guy working with the pilot whale is also a reason to keep checking vintage clothing shops.

3 comments:

Famous Monster of Mpls said...

As much as I love seeing and reading about vintage Disney parks, I'm happy to see that you are now beginning to cover other theme parks as well. This is a refreshing change of pace. Any chance that you will be sharing vintage pics of Universal Studios? That would be most welcomed! Especially anything monster related!!

Keep up the good work! I love the blog! I've also added a link over at Castle Famous.

Best, Terry.
The Famous Monster of Minneapolis.
http://castlefamous.blogspot.com/

Major Pepperidge said...

Marineland, Japanese Deer Park, Busch Gardens, pre-6 Flags Magic Mountain, Hoppyland, Beverly Park, etc....I'm happy to see them all!

Anonymous said...

I was a pre-schooler who lived in Palos Verdes, overlooking the Pacific, in the mid to late 1960's. Marineland was just down the road and one of my first memories, as well as Disneyland. Unfortunately, I don't think my parents bothered to take any pictures when we went! I understand that the movie "Life as a House" (2001) was also filmed on location at what was Marineland. Thanks for including these.