Friday, May 12, 2006

Souvenir Friday-Howdy Pod'ner Black Bart Frontierland Kids T Shirt

This is one of my favorite souvenirs, a childs T shirt featuring Black Bart. Who was Black Bart? He was the villian in the early gunfights and action in Frontierland, cast as a card shark and typical villian in the vein of early films. Of course the Marshall would always beat him. The original Marshall was Wally Boag from the Golden Horseshoe Review, who came up with the idea of some gun fight action in Frontierland. It is amazing that a shirt was created and sold at Disneyland featuring the villian, why not the Marshall? Here is an image of Black Bart doing his evilness in Frontierland.

4 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Whoa! I've never ever even heard of that shirt!

Do you know the name of the actor who was 'Black Bart'?

Major Pepperidge said...

Black Bart had his own t-shirt?? You see him in a few postcards and early park photos. By the way, I have a scan of slide showing a kid with a similar (and politically incorrect) shirt from Adventureland...wonder if they were from a series of shirts available at the park? I can email a copy to you if you are interested in seeing it.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hey Major Pepperidge- I would love a copy. E-mail me at Matterhorn1959@yahoo.com

John Sloan said...

The actor who played Black Bart was Dick Morrison. I know this because my great grandfather and he were brothers. He is originaly from Ohio.