Friday, July 01, 2016

Souvenir Friday- Dizzyland USA Advertising Banner

In the 1950s many tourist attractions gave out advertising banners meant to be tied to the front or back of the car, or could be hung up in a kid's bedroom. This attraction played upon the success and fame of Disneyland even going as far as using a similar font. I tried to find information on this park, but could not find anything. I believe this attraction was like the Santa Cruz Mystery spot with haunted shack and maybe even a gravity hill. The attraction is in the tourist area of South Dakota near Mount Rushmore.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I love it, and I'll bet Mr. Outsidetheberm is going to love it too!

Major Pepperidge said...

There are postcards from Dizzyland for sale on eBay, much to my surprise.

outsidetheberm said...

Yes, that's a keeper! You're right about the attraction, too. Very much like the Haunted Shack at Knott's. I *think* we have some postcards in the Liberty Ranch collection. Will take a look!

Khristine said...

After visiting SD a two years ago & had gone to Cosmos Mystery Area, I was telling my mom about it & she told me her father had opened a place like that in the 50's called Dizzyland & she and her siblings worked there as teens! I just got back from visiting my aunt in Iowa recently and asked her about the place. She remembered working there, tying ads to cars. Her and I searched Dizzyland on web and found this blog, where you had mentioned that this advertising banner was tied to cars. Ha! I also found a couple postcards of this place on ebay and when I showed them to her, she exclaimed "Hey! That's my dad and Lois! (stepmom)". So I bought them! His name was John William 'Jack' Rademacker. I only met my grandpa once. Knew my step-grandpa more. But pretty cool to see something like this that a part of my family's past. Where did you find this banner? I am sure my family would love to have it. Thanks!