Monday, July 25, 2016

America On Parade- 40 Years Ago

40 years ago both Disneyland and Walt Disney World hosted a large parade to celebrate the Bicentenniel of the founding of the United States. The parade was called America on Parade and used large doll like characters and oversized whimsical floats to show the history of America. It was a major deal with lots of merchandise and many viewers. I will be showcasing a nice set of snapshots of the parade taken from the sidewalk in front of City Hall. The first parade float was of Mickey, Goofy and Donald on a drum with the stars and stripes behind them. This float was based upon a drawing used on the Mickey Mouse magazine from the late 1930s.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

The Bicentennial was such a big deal at the time... everything was red, white and blue. I had a shirt with that drawing you referred to!

K. Martinez said...

"America on Parade" is still my all-time favorite daytime parade. I was 16 years old when I saw it and it really impressed me big time. Actually 250 years is coming up in 10 years. I'm sure something big will be planned.

Graffer said...

The giant headed characters with the vacant expressions always gave me the creeps. To me, America on Parade was a let down after the original Main St Electrical Parade.

stu29573 said...

I miss the bicentennial. My mom did my room all up in a patriotic theme. Good times...

stu29573 said...

I miss the bicentennial. My mom did my room all up in a patriotic theme. Good times...

Chuck said...

The Bicentennial was the first - and still the biggest - universally-observed nationwide celebration I'd ever experienced. It's hard to describe the experience to my kids, who haven nothing to compare it to. I still have my Bicentennial bedspreads featuring all 50 states and my red, white, and blue bedroom lamp.