Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mickey's Birthdayland Walt Disney World 1990

In 1990 I visited Florida and Walt Disney World for the first time. Growing up in California, the attractions in Florida were not a huge draw. By 1990, there were enough attractions to draw me to Florida including the new Disney-MGM studios and EPCOT Center. In the Magic Kingdom a small land was created in 1988 to celebrate Mickey Mouse's 60th birthday, a land called Mickey's Birthdayland. This land closed in 1990 and changing to Mickey's Fun Fair and then to Mickey's Toontown. The land was a fun place to visit. The first two images are from Mickey's house. The desk is fantastic for a collector of Disneyana with the rare Walt Disney World globe, nice Pluto comics and ceramics on display.

The bedroom is not as filled with items, but is still entertaining. My favorite is the Mousechusetts pennant.

The next two images show Duckburg which is the city where Mickey's Birthdayland was located. First up is D. Duck's Candy store. I have always been more of a duck fan than a mouse fan.

The last image is the statue of Cornelius Coot the founder of Duckburg, with the Duck County Courthouse in the background.

2 comments:

K. Martinez said...

When I went to WDW in the 1970's it was the whole property that was the big draw for me. It was something I was aware of being heavily into Disney since the early 1960's. I wanted to see what a different Disney property would look and feel like. As simple as it sounds, I wanted to ride the monorail around Seven Seas Lagoon and through the Contemporary Resort and see Bay Lake. I'd seen images and read enough information about the Magic Kingdom and Vacation Kingdom to know I wanted to visit. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, If You Had Wings, Mickey Mouse Revue and the different layout of the park peaked my interest as well. I feel fortunate I was able to see WDW in it's early years. I even enjoyed EPCOT Center in its infancy, but by the time Eisner took over, my interest in the Florida property waned.

Pegleg Pete said...

That Horace Horsecollar doll on the shelf in the first photograph is great – I need one!