Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ken-L-Ration Dog Show at the Flight Circle

A different Ken-L-Ration dog show for kids and their puppies has been shown before on Daveland's excellent blog as well as this one. However, this appears to be a later dog show. The show was held inside the Flight Circle in Tomorrowland and the emcees were two Disney Dogs, Pluto and Goofy. The first image shows Pluto pantomining to the crowd.

The second is a slightly wider shot with Goofy holding a sign and the judges in white coats. The sign hanging on the temporary barricade is a nice touch. I wonder where the signs ended up at? Also notice the water for the remote control boats. The water does have a nice reflective quality to it.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, very cool. No Sergeant Preston though! I wonder if CoxPilot will remember this?

The Viewliner Limited said...

At a time when Disneyland still had that country fair atmosphere. Very cool!

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

Hope CoxPilot finds his way to this post.

Anonymous said...

I think Goofy is holding a giant pooper scooper.

Daveland said...

Sweet! Nice photos, Patrick! If that kid had just moved to the right by a few inches...

CoxPilot said...

I did see this. Never knew they had this dog show, but the circle was used for a lot of different events after we (Cox Co.) left at the end of the summer season of 1965. The circle stayed empty until demolition of tomorrowland (not sure when that started). The circle also had a jet pack demo;

http://afilmla.blogspot.com/2009/07/one-small-
step-for-man.html

After the circle closed, I went to work at the Cox plant in Santa Ana as an illustrator and product development coordinator. I also did a lot of flight testing of new models.

However; my family and I returned to disneyland at least monthly through the years until we moved from Calif in 1996. It really felt funny having to actually BUY a ticket.

My move to the southeast now takes me to Disney World when I can, but I never compare the two. Disneyland has always felt like home to me, and WDW does not. It's great, but I'm just another tourist there.