Thursday, September 14, 2006

Scenes From the Autopia 1974

The final two slides of this small collection are what I call scenes from the Autopia. The first one shows a strong memory for me, waiting for one of the cars to arrive and for the other guests to disembark so I could climb in and then race around the track, trying to bump my brothers in front of me and not get bumped by my brother behind me. I always hoped for a fast car as some seemed to run better than others. I also like the view of the Peoplemover load area with the canopies in the tilted state to allow for loading and unloading.


The second slide is on the track showing the cars. I think these may have been taken for a photography course due to the lighting. (I did not lighten these up much to keep them somewhat dramatic and shadowy.) I like slides and images from this time period, but they actually seem harder to find. Maybe less people were taking pictures or they are still in photo albums that are treasured. They definitely bring me back to the Disneyland of my youth and from the comments, the Disneyland of most of your youth.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

By this point they had added the center guide rail....you didn't even have to steer. I can understand why it was added, but it must have extra fun to actualy have to control your vehicle the whole way. Now you could be unconscious...as long as your foot is on the gas, you'll go the whole way!

thepicklebarrel said...

all i know is, if the freeways today had a guide rail my unconscious driving would probably be much safer.