Monday, September 12, 2016

Two Views of Disneyland in 1956

Two somewhat unusual views of Disneyland. The images are from black and white negatives. First up is a backside view of a Jungle Cruise launch leaving the dock. Wave goodbye to the fearless crew and their skipper. The barrels in the foreground which are part of the dock scenic element are nice.

The second image is of Carnation Garden from the walkway to Sleeping Beauty Castle. The view is quite wide open with minimal fencing. Note the black swan in the moat.

It appears I did not reverse the negative so here is a corrected version which will make more sense....

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Matterhorn, I think the negative is flipped in the second image. I can't read the sign, but the angle is all wrong if it was taken from the Castle walkway unless you flip it. If you look closely, you can see the dance pavilion through the trees on the extreme right, where it should be to the extreme left.

Note the fence under the footbridge, separating the swan populations. I wonder if this was intended to prevent territorial birds from fighting or to prevent the different species from interbreeding?

Matthew said...

@Chuck... I was wondering the same thing about the negative on the second photo. From what little I know... Swans can be very territorial so I think the fence was more to keep peace.

LOVE the Jungle Cruise launch leaving the dock. GREAT photo... boy I miss that view.

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hi Chuck- thanks for the heads up...sometimes I look at the image quickly and it looks right but it is reversed. I will post up the correct image tomorrow morning.

Matthew said...

Thanks Patrick. That looks better. ;-) Hope you are well and we will see each other again soon.

Always your pal,
Matt ;-)