Monday, April 10, 2006

WenMac Hobby Flight Circle 1958

Unusual view of one of the least photographed spots in Disneyland, the Wen Mac Hobby Flight and Race Circle. Looking at this attraction, it is just a big circle surrounded by chain link fencing. Disneyland tried to dress it up with nautical banners and the wind sock with Wen Mac on it is pretty nice. The molded fiberglass chairs are also nice for the spectators. The building in the background is great with the colored panels on the second floor, most likely it is the Art of Animation building.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your date is wrong for the WenMac company. They were kicked out in 1958, and replaced by the L.M. Cox company (ThimbleDrome). I worked there for them from 1959 to 1965 when they closed the circle.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hey Anonymous- thanks for the information. The slides this came from had a variety of years but the majority were from 1960 so that is the year I used. By the way, do you have any stories from that time period. I would love to hear about working the flight circle.

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

Yes! More info about the Flight Circle please.

I made my 1st trip to Disneyland in 1965 (I was 4) and the ONLY things I remember at all from that visit are the Flight Circle and the Indian Village.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Much more. Check out Daveland.com. He is posting some of my "rememberings."

Anonymous said...

I was Marketing Manager at Wen-Mac when we opened the flight circle at Disneyland. As I remember Disney charged us $500 a month for the flight circle space. We put on shows about every 1/2 hour flying the model airplanes from the Aeromite, to the Turbojet to the P-38. Walt Disney often came and watched the shows. Bob Strock