Thursday, November 30, 2006

More Views of Rainbow Ridge December 1960

More views of the buildings at Rainbow Ridge. The last image shows the entrance tunnel to Nature's Wonderland Railroad with the Opera House on the right hand side. The detailing on all the building is wonderful and very detailed, especially considering that guests never walked that close to the buildings. These are only set pieces to be seen from across the loading area. I also like the fresh look of everything. The illusion of a real mining town is very convincing, setting the stage for the ride to come.

6 comments:

DisneyDutchman said...

Great sequence of pics. You do get the feel of a real minning town!! Thanks Matterhorn-cool stuff!!!!
DD

Anonymous said...

I think it's so amazing that somebody had the foresight to take these photos back in 1960. They are the kind of picture I would take if I could ever get that time machine working (it keeps overheating)!!

Anonymous said...

Boy, does this bring back memories. One of the rides I had the pleasure to operate. I can hear the "canned" recordings that would periodically eminate from hidden loudspeakers within certain buildings...like the saloon.

Daveland said...

Great quality photos - the detail is amazing. These are the kind of shots I take now!

The Schneb said...

I recreated this ride, plus Rainbow Caverns, in a video. I am really proud the way it turned out. Now the kids can see what I saw back then. When we are at Disneyland, I point out the caves that were once the tunnels.

Anonymous said...

A different anonymous speaking now...

I have always, since first ever seeing this little town, wanted to run over and play in it...

forty-five years later, I still feel the same way.

I hope it was saved to preserve continuity, but I suspect it was rather to save money when Big Thunder was built...

I still feel wistful when i see the little train rotting away on the siding, now just decoration. I think I am headed that way myself.