Sunday, November 05, 2006

Disneyland Band Town Square Concert July 1955

After looking at Major Pepperidge's slide of the Disneyland band in blue uniforms on his blog Gorilla's Don't Blog, I searched my slides and came up with this early image of the Disneyland Band performing the flag retreat at Town Square. The band uniforms here have not acheived the brass button splendor they eventually became. I still like the simplicity of the band uniforms and the brass instruments. Unfortunately the slide is somewhat scratched, but it is still one of my favorite Disneyland Band shots. Look for more photographs of the Disneyland Band this week.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Great slide! Just think, these guys have probably been in marching bands since they were in high school (and some of them look like old timers). And maybe they played in a band in the military, during WWII. Now they get to play at Disneyland!

DisneyDutchman said...

Love the super size!! You can really get in there and see all the details. WOW!!!!! DD

Adam Hazlett said...

I love that lady's parasol. You don't see that much anymore.

Unknown said...

The clarinet player on the right side, front is my father-in-law Bernie Flymen. He played with the Disneyland Band for the first 5 years the park was open. At the same time he was also playing in the Ricky Ricardo Band on the I Love Lucy shows. He passed away last year. It is a real treat to find this picture of him

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to this site. What a treat to see Col. Walker and the band. Col. Walker was my first private instructor and I played 1st Horn in his Inglewood Boys Band from 1952 to 1957. Needless to say I spent a great deal of time at Disneylad after it opened. Col. Walker even let me direct the band at one of the flagpole concerts. Thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to know more about Bernard Flymen. I never knew his name but have inquired on numerous sites for more information. I would love to know more about him!