Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dia De Los Muertos In the Pirates of the Caribbean

Celebrating the Mexican Day of the Dead are these skeletons from the cavern scene in the Pirates of the Caribbean. One of the symbols used in Day of the Dead celebrations are skeletons doing activities that the living perform such as bands, dances, cleaning, feasting and many other things. In Pirates there are similar scenes maybe even inspired by the Day of the Dead figures, so I thought it appropriate to use this image to celebrate Dia De Los Muertos. The tag on the back of this 1968 publicity photo is as follows: Dead Man's Cove -- Boat-borne guests in Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean" sail past "Dead Man's Cove" where there is evidence of past pirate activities. Who knows what may be buried beneath the red-tinged sand. Guests explore eerie caverns like this one in preparation for witnessing the buccaneer's attack on a Caribbean port village.

2 comments:

DisneyDutchman said...

Thanks for keeping up with the Blogging!! I start my day by checking out the blogs - it's always a kick!! When the month goes by I take another look at all of the wonderful posts!! Way Cool!!

I did find a little mistake on your Oct 1 post. The tour guide is standing in by the Red Wagon not the Plantation, from that angle I can see how you could make the mistake. Thanks and please keep up the cool stuff!! Its so addictive!!!! DD

Major Pepperidge said...

This is kind of like those Day of the Dead scenes...the little souvenir dioramas of skeletons getting married, playing pool, riding motorcycles, etc! I love that stuff, I first knew about the Dia De Los Muertos when I read Ray Bradbury's "The Halloween Tree", and it intrigued me to no end. Those sugar skulls!