Tuesday, November 14, 2006

1959 Monorails Publicity Photograph

A nice Disneyland press release photograph of the red and blue Monorails over the Submarine Lagoon. The posed shot is nice in that you can see the side of the Monorail and the front of the Monorail. On the back is the publicity tag reading: Transportation of omorrow is here today at Disneyland. Two trains of the Disneyland-Alweg Monorail System, first passenger carrying monorail to operate continously in America, cruise silently over a concrete "highway in the sky" in Walt Disney's Tomorrowland. Part of its journey takes passengers aboard the electrically operated trains high above the coral lagoon of Disneyland's new Submarine Lagoon.

For more Monorail happiness, check out Gorillas Don't Blog and The Pickle Barrel posts for today.

4 comments:

DisneyDutchman said...

Help! Help! Help! I'm old and confused!!!! This pic shows plastic domes where the driver sits. Are they what you are refering to as the Drivers Domes??
Haven't the rails always had these in some form? I'm confused from your Daveland comment that says they were added in 1961. Please I'm losing sleep tryin to figure it out -HA just kidding. Thanks again Matterhorn for all the cool posts over the last year!!You kinda got this all started and its become a real source of entertainment for me and my familly!! We here at the Dutchmans household can't wait to check the blogs every morning!!!!!!! DD

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the last time I saw more than one Monorail train running. And I have to admit, I'm confused about the "domes" too.

Here's my guess...originally the driver sat in the front car, and the "dome" is just like a skylight in the early Monorail. Later on the pilot moved "upstairs" so that guests could sit up front?

Matterhorn1959 said...

In the Nickel Tour Dave and Bruce write that the domes were added when the new yellow four car train was put into service in 1961 and the fourth car added to the red and blue Monorails. But it appears the domes have been there since 1959. So I am confused as well.....

thepicklebarrel said...

yeah, the domes seem to have been part of the design from the beginning.