Thursday, October 19, 2006

Castle Rock Tom Sawyers Island 1960s

With all the news and rumors of a Pirate Island makeover for Tom Sawyers Island, I decided to post this image taken from the Mark Twain of the old Castle Rock with the flying flags. Even this element has now disappeared becoming part of a more interactive element. I am wondering, since Tom Sawyer is no longer on the island, are they going to rename the Mark Twain to the Black Pearl to theme a river boat traveling around a pirate island?

4 comments:

Daveland said...

Damn - never even thought about the Mark Twain in relation to JS. SURELY they would draw the line at re-theming that...

Major Pepperidge said...

Man, I hate the idea of a re-themed TSI so much. What are the odds that they would do something tasteful? My guess is that it will be garish and overdone (pardon my pessimism!).

There is a quote in the book "Disneyland Hotel: The Early Years" where Walt says, "I don't want to just entertain kids with pony rides and swings, I want them to learn something about their heritage." While Tom Sawyer is fictional, it harkens back to a real time and place in U.S. history.

Amazon Belle said...

AMEN - Preach it Major! I'll support ya. I like the idea of Pirate Island... I just like it better if it didn't take away from kids, "...learning something about their heritage."

Major Pepperidge said...

I agree, amazon belle, a Pirate Island could be wonderful. Maybe bring back some form of Skull Rock! Imagine how the old Imagineers might have done it (the new guys are talented, but I don't think that they are given the chance to use their creativity like in the old days). Losing this wonderful piece of Frontierland just because they have a very popular movie at the moment is not the way to go.