Wednesday, May 30, 2012

South Seas Island POP Postcards

My favorite area and ride at Pacific Ocean Park was found on the South Seas Island at the edge of the pier. The Mystery Train ride rivaled the Nature's Wonderland Mine Train as well as the Calico Mine Train. I would like to find interior images of the ride. The first postcard features the line and loading area of the train ride.

A closer view of the load area. I like the carved Tiki poles in front of the A-Frame structure.

Final image is an artist rendering of one of the big show pieces in the ride, a ride through the interior of a volcano. I doubt that this was as impressive as this concept art, but it still sounds fabulous.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Man, look at how high up you were when you got to the end of the skyway ride! Maybe it's an illusion, but it appears to be waaaay up there.

K. Martinez said...

The South Seas Island was always the big draw for me when collecting the POP postcards. I like the waterfall over the ocean water. It’s very surreal looking.

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Long time lurker here. That last pic I found back in the late '80s as an already-sent postcard from back when stamps were only 2cents. The original writer had written something like "Here we are at the famous disneyland where we met Goofy" which was obviously wrong. And mailed it to someone named Ethell Paddinton. I was able, through painstaking forgery, to alter the address [but not the name] add postage, and send it on to my brother in L.A who had just gotten a job AS Goofy! [Where he was to meet his future wife, also Goofy, but that's another story] Anyway, I thought he would catch on, and recognize it was just my congratulatory little joke to him, a sort of spoof-the-goof, if you will, but instead he was totally fooled, and called me all excited and amazed. It was almost sad to disillusion him. But hey. I'm the older brother, it's my job. Tarzman

Ikon Wolf said...

Tarzman, I often see different amusement park post cards misfiled as Disneyland at postcard shows, and you would think they would look closer than the average person.

Anonymous said...

This was the best ride in POP. Still have memories of it all these years later!