Monday, May 28, 2012

Pacific Ocean Park Postcards

Three of my favorite POP postcards. First up is an aerial view of the pier and park. This is a modern print made from an old negative. It is a nice view of the park showing the layout of many of the rides and various lands.

Next up is a nice view of the entrance. This view shows why Pacific Ocean Park was not as successful as Disneyland. The entrance is barren and kind of run down looking.

Final image is another view of the entrance in an earlier time. The iconic seahorse structure always catches my eye. Several of the souvenir plates, the pennant and t-shirts use the same logo.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

It kills me that I never got to see POP... but it closed when I was a small child. It seems like my grandparents took me everywhere else, but somehow we never made it out there.

K. Martinez said...

Same here. I never got to see POP either when it was around.

That first image really does show the layout nicely. I like B&W photography for this reason. It brings out details that otherwise don't get as noticed in color.

Anonymous said...

Take it from one who was there -- you didn't miss a thing. I begged my parents to take me to Disneyland over and over. I never asked to go to POP twice.

tikiranch said...

Wow looking close at the 2nd postcard it shows the "POP fun" sign I had a few of a while ago.