Monday, December 07, 2009

Disneyland in Black and White 1957

Three interesting views from Disneyland in 1957. First up is a nice shot of the back of the Peter Pan Pirate ship restaurant with the Chicken of the Sea Mermaid logo.

Next up is a view of Casey Junior with the fairly new Storybook Canal boats area. I believe this was taken from the Skyway.

Final shot is of the living desert in Frontierland. The buttes and rock designs were quite the attraction. I believe this was taken from the Santa Fe and Disneyland railroad.

4 comments:

Katella Gate said...

What a beautiful shot of the stern. Does anybody know if that was all wood construction? I can't imagine even trying something like this today.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Ditto Katella. Wasn't the stern made of some kind of plaster. Because I remember reading somewhere, that when they demolished the ship, they were going to save the COS Logo part of the ship and when they moved it, it broke into a bunch of pieces?

Major Pepperidge said...

I think I also read that some small parts of the Chicken of the Sea pirate ship were used in the revamped "Peter Pan" ride. Anybody know if this is true?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

According to Jason over at Disneyland Nomenclature "To partially appease some of the Disneyana buffs, the Imagineers did try to save some elements of the ship, by carefully prying elaborate plaster work off the stern of the ship and placing it in a truck. Unfortunately, when the truck hit a bump, the plasterwork fell over and broke into a thousand pieces."

Some rigging, lanterns and other props from the pirate ship were put in the new Peter Pan's Flight.

I like the simple Casey Jr. photo, "I think I can, I think I can"... THANKS!