Saturday, December 19, 2009

Children's Fairyland Oakland

A visit to Children's Fairyland on the shores of Lake Merritt in Oakland, California in 1968. I have been in Oakland several times but have never made it to Children's Fairyland. The buildings were designed by William Russell Everett. The park is still open and only costs $7.00 for entrance and all rides. First up is a nice image of Hey Diddle Diddle The Cow Jumped Over the Moon.

Next is Goosey, Goosey Gander.

My favorite is Willie the Whale. As can be seen in the second image, kids can walk down the steps to meet Willie close up. As the advertising for the Fairyland states, Willie actually squirts water.

Also in this group was this image of a large modern sculpture and playground structure in the shape of a giant grasshopper. I believe this is also at Lake Merritt park in Oakland.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks kind of Disney-esque! I LOVE it!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Hi Folks, I will be visiting family for the next couple of weeks. So I would like to take this time to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. PEACE! ~ Richard.

Julie and Glenn said...

I went to Fairyland (with my daughter) today for the first time since about 1968. That place has been not only well kept up, it's expanded and improved. Very impressed.

Thanks for finding these old shots to calibrate differences for me.