Monday, June 01, 2009

Pirates, Pirates and More Pirates

A series of pictures from the 1970s featuring every one's favorite bad guys, the Pirates of the Caribbean. The first image is of the old sign. I remember walking under this sign many times over the years.

The next couple of images shows the haunted pirates in the cave surrounded by their treasure. Remember, Dead Men Tell NO Tales!

A pirate just hanging out waiting for the opportunity to pillage and plunder.

Finally, one of the last pirates you meet. He will eventually come to an end like the skeletons due to his shooting in the armory.

3 comments:

Katella Gate said...

I remember that processing style for 1970's prints: rounded edges printed on a plasticized mesh surface. (check out the top half of the first photo).

My family has boxes of that type of print before my Dad lost interest in photography around the mid 70's.

I think it was done as a novelty and to kill glare, but I always disliked it because it killed all the detail.

Lonnie's the photographer here. Any thoughts?

Major Pepperidge said...

Yeah, those totally remind me of photos from my childhood, including ones that I would take with my Kodak Instamatic. Only these actually came out OK, my "Pirates" photos came out basically black.

Katella Gate said...

Major: Yes, Black Disneyland Photos: I had quite a number of them. I finally had to settle for postcards because the film + developing costs were just too much for blanks.

The problem was the post cards never showed the details I wanted to see...