Thursday, June 18, 2009

Nature's Wonderland Large Format Photo #2

The second of the large format photographs. I do stand corrected, yesterday I wrote that the miner was the trainer, he is actually operating the unit. The guy sitting in the front seat was probably a lucky guest. I did not know that guests could ride in the front of the cab. Today's image is of the train passing over the wooden trestle in Bear Country. Not the Bear Country of the 1970's, but rather the Bear Country of the 1960's and only seen by either the Nature's Wonderland Railroad or via the Pack Mules. Oh, you can also see the Pack Mule's heading over the natural stone arch bridge.

5 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Stunning and rare angle! What's in those red barrels, something to do with putting out a fire I would guess? That arch looks so cool as does the bridge and river and bears and the train, wow, I wish I had rode this attraction!

Anonymous said...

I also wish I had ridden this attraction. What seems to have separated Disneyland in its early decades from all other parks and even, to an extent, from Disneyland today, was its emphasis on what might simplistically called scenery. From its inception, Disneyland was clearly the work of artists first and entertainers and businessmen second. It's what set it apart; it's what redefined amusement parks: not thrill rides and not hucksterism, but artful, layered, detailed theming everywhere you looked.

Major Pepperidge said...

Beautiful shot! Wowee...

Anonymous said...

This train has the number one on the back - the same as the one that sits on the banks of ROA now!
Thanks for posting these great shots.

Anonymous said...

If you asked, there was a chance I'd let you in the cab. There was enough room for a person on each side. An adult and child or two children got first dibs. Otherwise, I enjoyed the quiet and beauty of the ride to myself and as much as the passengers. It is so sad to see that engine in its current state along the ROA. A great comment from the other "Anonymous" above. I agree.