Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Tomorrowland Space Bar

A nice wide open shot of the famous Space Bar in Tomorrowland. I believe this is from around 1959 as it appears there is some construction going on in the left hand side of the image for the Monorail. Actually the image is from 1956 and the construction is the Tomorrowland station for the Skyway. (Thanks Progressland!) I also like all the Eames style chairs in front of the restaurant and the light posts. Note the image is large so you all can take a nice look into the details.

7 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

Wow, great image! I think it's actually from 1956, with the construction being the Tomorrowland Skyway Station. Thanks to the large image, you can also barely make out the page curl from the 1956 construction sign they used for the Skyway.

Major Pepperidge said...

I was just going to say the same thing that Progressland just said, that is definitely the Skyway Station being constructed. What a great image! Is this from a stereo image by any chance?

Matterhorn1959 said...

Thanks for the correction. The skyway tower did not enter my mind...but I see it now. The image is from a large format slide.

The Viewliner Limited said...

A truly historic and fantastic image. So many things to come.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Never reaslised that the Space Bar was really just a wall of vending machines? At least that's what it looks like.

Kevin Kidney said...

Fantastic shot! So much space at the space bar.

I am going to build one of those tripoddy lampposts. I really am!

Daveland said...

Kevin - Sign me up for a pre-order on the tripoddy lamppost!