Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Seattle World's Fair Pre-Opening

A Disneyland cast member who was very familiar with the Monorails went to the Seattle World's Fair in 1962 while the attractions where being constructed. When he was in Seattle, he took several pages of photographs of rides and buildings under construction. The first photograph is of an off the shelf tilt a whirl ride being installed.

The next photo is another view of the ride, showing the ride vehicles.

The final view for today is one of my favorites, Autopia style cars parked and waiting to be driven by happy youngsters.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Great photos! I love the mock Autopia, those metal bumpers around the sides look very much like the Disneyland versions.

I recently found a few slides that I *think* are from the Seattle World's Fair amusement area, one showing a "wild mouse" type roller coaster, and another showing the exterior of a funhouse. I'll post those one of these days!

Alastair Dallas said...

The ride is the Calypso from Italian importer S. B. Ramagosa, I believe. It is certainly not a Tilt-a-Whirl from Sellner Manufacturing, but it is "off the shelf."