Friday, January 25, 2008

Souvenir Friday- Frontierland Hand Painted Sign

I purchased this sign about a year ago from one a dealer who was selling a large Disneyland collection. He was not sure where it was used and neither was I. In posting yesterday's picture, I saw a poster I have not seen before on the Main Street looking South. The poster is on the wall at the entrance to the Penny Arcade. Here is a close up scan of the poster:

The poster advertises the Explorer Boats in Adventureland. Based upon this bit of photographic evidence and the posting by Ken at Outside the Berm of the Disneyland Fire Department sandwich board sign, I believe this Frontierland sign with the Railroad engine was on Main Street. The sign reminds me of the Railroad cards seen in Monopoly. The sign measures approximately 22 by 14 inches and is hand painted on the grey card stock.

If anyone has documentation of this sign, I would love to see it!!

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I can't add anything as far as information about this wonderful sign....the hand-painted quality is really charming. This has to be an extremely early item, don't you think? It would be great to find a photo with this in it.....

jedblau said...

Super SWEET!

Chris Merritt said...

Well - that obviously is a mine train train - so at least 1956...

outsidetheberm said...

That sign looks vaguely familiar... will do a search in the coming days.

If it's card stock it should have been behind glass somewhere. Maybe in a window.

Mark London said...

Just so ya know, i gave all you guys a little "hey" on my blog..thanks for all the good stuff!