Monday, January 07, 2008

Motor Mania- Autopia 1956

I remember when one of my favorite rides was the Autopia. The chance to drive my own car and pretend I was Mario Andretti or Don "the Snake" Prudhomme racing my car towards the finish line. In 1956 when these photos were taken, the Autopia was free- not cost but rather there was no center rail to keep you on the track. The first image also shows an answer to a question, where was the circus tent that Professor Keller used in his Feline show. It appears it was at the end of Main Street in the same location as the Mickey Mouse Club Circus tent.

The second shot illustrated the freedom. In the background parked are the Police cruisers so no ticket for speeding for this young driver.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Great shots, I love the girl's head scarf...it makes her look like a 50's Italian movie star. You can see the police car in both photos!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Sweet shots! These are classic! One of my favorites as a kid too, I remember riding it all day & night, over and over!

Hey, I’ve got the Autopia Driver Licenses over on my blog today, great minds think a like! Thanks for these cool snap shots, I love the fringy boarders.

Thufer said...

my first visit to the park was 1961. i remember there was a guide rail then. i had no idea there were placed after the ride had opened.