Thursday, January 04, 2007

Overhead View of Disneyland October 20, 1954

It is now October and the dirt work is really starting to happen. The Rivers of America have been carved out and work has started on the Jungle River Cruise ride area. The Dominguez house has been moved and can be seen on the far right of the photo and the stand of trees used as a windbreak show the line between Main Street and Adventureland. Caption for photo reads: By this time we had installed most of our underground facilities, sewer, gas, water and electrical.

A nice shot of the most underutilized building in Disneyland. I like the color seen in the umbrellas. I wish they would bring the Pavillion back as a restaurant instead of just the current empty shell of a building.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that water at the north end of the Rivers of America? It seems too soon to be filling it, but I can't tell what else that dark shape would be.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Major- I think it just may be ground water seeping up through the dirt.

Hannibal8 said...

I used to work at both the Plaza Pavillion and Tahitian Terrace when I was a puppy. On certain days when all the restaurants are packed it blows my mind that these two fine eateries are not open for business. It doesn't make sense that there seem to be more people in the park and less places to sit down and have a nice meal. Both places were always packed... there was never a moments rest when I worked there.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I really miss that pavillion. One of the things that makes my skin crawl is seeing all the weird annual pass / disney vacation club / pin trading stations in the park. Isn't that what they're using the plaza pavillion for nowadays?

Anonymous said...

Well, with all the trouble they have had in recent years with finding good CMs (not that they've been doing their part to KEEP good CMs), especially those in Foods, I can see why these locations are no longer in service. I always wanted to see the Plaza Pavilion as a nice sit down restaurant. IMO it was too beautiful to be a buffet service restaurant. I always prefer the sit down locations to eat at whenever I visit Disneyland. There are plenty of the other.