Sunday, July 09, 2006

My Pirates of the Carribean Rant

Like most of you, I went and saw Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man's Chest last night. I enjoyed the movie but felt let down by Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. I felt he was way too weak and too much of a coward to lead a band of pirates. In the first film, he was a scoundrel, but at least showed a backbone. In this film, things happen to Captain Jack and he just reacts rather than him forging and creating action causing things to happen. For most of the film he is running away from everything and everyone, not searching and fighting for his hearts desire. Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Swann and Orlando Bloom as Will Turner stole the show with characters who showed backbones and fought back and performed action to change their own course. My other rant is there was not as many in jokes. The first film had kind of a smug smile to it as how can we incorporate scenes such as the Bridal Auction Scene into the film and yet still have the story move on. I will withhold comment on the new audio animatronics in the ride until I have seen them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you were late this morring we also went yesterday g did not think it was very good. lm

Daveland said...

I haven't seen the movie, but yesterday, I went as the park opened and got to see the "new" ride; overall, I really think they did a fantastic job. The new audio animatronics are amazing, and so are the other new effects. The only thing I missed: the two guys at the end struggling in vain to get the treasure up the hill. I always thought it was a nice comic bit, and although the Depp figure at the end is very impressive, it just doesn’t pack the same punch, and also looks tacked on, as opposed to being seamless with the ride. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

Interesting Dave, I never liked those guys at the end of the ride because you could tell they weren't Marc Davis characters, and looked like they were brought in from some bad wax museum...they didn't fit with the original guys. The only cool thing about that scene was (if anyone else noticed) included in the loot that they're trying to haul, was the original oil painting of Peter Unstinov as Blackbeard from the 60's Disney film Blackbeard's Ghost!

Rod Bennett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.