Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Before Skull Rock

This is the way the Chicken of the Sea Pirate ship should look, freshly painted and gleaming in the morning sun. My memories of the Pirate ship are of a rather old looking ship that was worn and starting to fall apart. Although the slide is undated, from the lack of landscaping and the fact everyone is in winter coats, I would say this slide dates from January 1956, prior to construction of Storybook Land. In the background can be seen the deserted hills of the Canal Boats of the World. I like the posed group and the little boy and his mom in black. Mom is even wearing black gloves. And of course the Pirate ship without very many obstructions to block the details.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Beautiful shot. Zowie, look at the color! I miss the ship, it added a lot to Fantasyland.

Anonymous said...

we ate there all the time rember lm where is my hippo

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hey M- working on it. I need to scan the image. I will let you know when I get it done.

Anonymous said...

This image looks reversed to me...I dont see any words in the picture to check it...but didn't the bow face the center of Fantasyland? Looking at the womans coat though it does look like the buttons are on the wrong side (womens shirts and coats generally have the buttons on the wearers left, mens shirts and jackets on the wearers right)

Matterhorn1959 said...

Brian- you are correct, the image as originally posted was reversed. The hills of Casey Junior in the background were also a clue. I have reversed the image.