Monday, August 19, 2013

Drew and John Celebrating Disneyland's 30th Anniversary

For Disneyland's Thirtieth Anniversary, NBC broadcast a special hosted by John Forsythe and Drew Barrymore. At this time, John Forsythe was starring in Dynasty and Drew Barrymore had made a name for herself in ET the Extraterrestrial as well as Irreconcilable Differences. Drew was also starting on her rebellious stage and would make become famous for her partying ways and stints in rehab at the young age of 14. The special was set as a night at Disneyland with many musical segments showcasing the park. The stars included Donna Summer, Pointer Sisters, Julian Lennon, Alabama, Julie Andrews, David Hasselhof, Debbie Allen, Peter Allen, and Marie Osmond. Clips of the anniversary special can be found on YouTube.

4 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Love the first pic. This was about when Disneyland peaked for me. The 80s were definitely a transitional period for the Park and Disney as a whole. Thanks!

Major Pepperidge said...

As a kid I was always so disappointed with all of the shows that featured Disneyland. They were typically awful - it seemed to me that just showing the park as an amazing place would have been so much better.

Sweetie Suz said...

I fondly remember this special! My dad recorded it on a VSH tape (I know I'm dating myself) and I frequently watched it as we did not live close to Disneyland at the time. I also remember it featured the Cosby kids, and David Hasselhoff singing a cover of The Contours song "Do You Love Me" with the ballerina Hippos from Fantasmic dancing around him. On my way to Youtube asap to watch it!

Sweetie Suz said...

* VSH = VHS :/