Monday, August 20, 2012

Tomorrowland 1988

Scenes from the Tomorrowland of my youth. I was going to school at San Diego State University and had started collecting Disneyland items when these photographs were taken. The Peoplemover cars color striping had recently changed to mainly white with color stripes.

The planters are still in use at this time and looking as lovely as ever. The pattern of the background is nice with interesting modern symbols.

Of course the Tomorrowland of my youth featured the lovely Mary Blair tiles showing communication and travel. If I remember correctly, these are from the communication side of the murals.

4 comments:

Thufer said...

Very much the Tommorowland I recall as'mine' I suppose.
Oh please suites; bring back the Peoplemover.

Now, to be honest, I do love the Star Wars look of today. That said, I do pay homage to the wonderful images of Mary Blair. I know (have heard) that some of the original tiles are under the North side facade somewhere. I just wish that the entire vision could have been saved and transplanted to another location. IMHO~ those murals were treasures which should have been preserved.

Major Pepperidge said...

It's still strange to see the Peoplemover in its "white with a stripe" version.

K. Martinez said...

The first image is about where I thought Tomorrowland started its decline in color and design.

Star Tours moved in prompting the first removal of the Mary Blair Murals and a Tomorrowland repaint which included the "white and stripe" PeopleMover vehicles as well as the new nebula color scheme on the Terrace and surrounding areas. I knew what they were going for, but it didn’t work for me.

Tomorrowland lost its warmth provided by the original colors of the PeopleMover vehicles and optomistic Mary Blair Murals. JMO.

Thufur – I always thought they should’ve saved the murals and move them to the Disneyland Hotel.

walterworld said...

Those planters started life as fountains in 1967.

Typical life cycle of a fountain; they eventually become too much of a pain to maintain so they're converted to plantings.