Friday, August 10, 2012

Souvenir Friday- Outside Postcards

With the success of Disneyland, many motels sprung up in Anaheim to house the many visitors. These motels offered souvenirs to their guests. In most cases, the souvenirs were created and purchased from vendors who were not Disneyland authorized. The vendors created many different and unauthorized souvenirs including these 4 postcards. What is neat about these postcards are that the views are unusual and many times are aerial views that you do not see in the authorized postcards. First up is a view of the Exit of Disneyland. I like the font that approximates the Disneyland font. Also check out the ticket booth on the right hand side.

The next postcard is a view of Nature's Wonderland Railroad showing the painted desert.

Another aerial view of Disneyland, this time circa late 1960s showing Tomorrowland.

Last image is a multi view with the Matterhorn, Frontierland, it's a small world and Storybook Canal boats. An interesting choice of views.

This post is in honor of a fellow blogger and friend, Ken of Disneyland Postcards blog died suddenly this week. His smiling presence at shows, his discussions of postcards and his joy and love for Disney and Disney history will be missed. My sympathies are extended to his family.

9 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

I love those aeriel views! In the Tomorrowland shot, I was amazed to see how dense the Jungle Cruise area had become but even more amazing was seeing all those cars parked backstage behind Harbor Point!!

Connie Moreno said...

One more thing, I didn't know your blog friend but it is sad when someone suddenly passes.

Thufer said...

~my thoughts and prayers for your friend~

Question; any idea what that is all lined up in the employee area offtage to the east of Main Street and south of Tomorrowland. It looks to me to be PeopleMover cars but I am not sure(?)

I'm with Conie, just love these.

mydisneycollection said...

I never met Ken personally, but he was a huge asset to the Disney community. He will be missed.

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe Ken passed away. Wow, I am stunned. I used to see him regularly at paper shows, with his binders and lists of what he was looking for; he would patiently look at every postcard to make find the variant he needed. In fact I was expecting to see him in Glendale next month.

Well, it feels dumb to even ask this now, but do you have any idea what all of those white things are in the backstage area of Tomorrowland (postcard #3)?

kurtisaurus said...

So sorry to hear about Ken's passing, I wish his family well.

@Major I think those are PeopleMover cars or possibly Skyway buckets.

K. Martinez said...

I'm sad to hear of Ken's passing. I'm never met him personally, but always enjoy his contributions to the Disney community. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Anonymous said...

A shock to hear the news. Never met him but always enjoyed the blog. Some of that because I too am named Ken and have a similar name tag with the same service pins as one of my cherished momentos of working as a CM. Any idea as to his age?

I say those are the PM cars, as I see none on the track. Also think this was taken early 1967 prior to the "new" Tomorrowland opening.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear of your friends passing. Sympathy to you and his family.

Thank you for these pictures, especially unusual angles.

JG