Friday, October 14, 2011

Souvenir Friday- Jimmy Starr Memos

Jimmy Starr was an entertainment reporter in Hollywood. For several years he was also a Disneyland Lessee operating a shop called Show Business. The store was located next to the Disneyland Opera House and the merchandise was photographs of television and movie stars along with other film related novelties and items. Of course Disneyland communicated with the lessees and provided them with information. Jimmy kept some of these memos and information....but it is kind of random. First up is an early memo regarding ID cards.

Next up is a letter asking for payment to the Disneyland Lessee Association.

The final two pieces date from 1960. First up is the make up of the Ticket Book effective February 10, 1960. I like Jimmy's hand written comments.

Attached to the ticket prices is the operating calendar form most of 1960. As you can see, Disneyland was closed many Mondays and Tuesdays.

6 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Amazing stuff, WOW!!! love the Ticket price list and his comments...

"Not Much" for the Monorail?????

Hey I can't see the second scan, is it just me???

THANKS!!!

Jason Schultz said...

I've never seen a Park Operating Schedule in that format. Guess I need to stop the presses and redo the Almanac's cover!

Major Pepperidge said...

Yeah, what does that "not much" comment mean? Did they not like the ride? The Mine Train was "extra good"!

Graffer said...

On the attraction list, what is the Main St Shooting Gallery? I am only aware of the Frontierland & Adventureland shooting galleries.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hi Graffer, the Main Street Shooting Gallery always seemed mysterious to me, boy I'd love to see a photo of the interior. I guess it was located somewhere near/behind the Penny Arcade.

You can see it on a few tickets and in a guide book on my blog here:

(link)

Katella Gate said...

Wow! That collection letter is brutal! You almost expect it to be signed "Sincerely, Hired Goon".

Oh yeah, The day I was born, Disneyland was open from 9-12. Party on Mickey! Party on Donald!