Saturday, July 05, 2008

Knott's Beary Tales August 21, 1982

One of the best rides from the Knott's Berry Farm Roaring 20's development was the Rolly Crump designed Knott's Beary Tales. A simple story of trying to get pies to a county fair without having them stolen by the pie thief is set in a fantastic dark ride. The captions are self explanatory. Photograph #1 is Characters making Knotts Berry Farm jellies & jam,s on Knott's Berry tale ride.

Photograph #2 Some of the Knotts Berry Tale characters.

Photograph #3 Coyote Pie Thief on Knotts Berry Tale Ride.

Photograph #4 Mystical madame as part of Knotts Berry Tale.

Photograph #5 Pie Thief of Knotts Berry Tales.

Photograph #6 Character from Knotts Berry Tale.

Photograph #7 Characters in Tree on Knotts Berry Tale Ride.

Photograph #8 Balloon ride for some Knotts Berry Farm spectators at Berry Tales country fair.

Photograph #9 Poor pie thief in jail on Knotts Berry Tale characters.

I hope you enjoyed the ride.

13 comments:

Katella Gate said...

I hope you enjoyed the ride

This was a fine little ride that was swept away much too soon when Knott's Management decided to chase the Dinosaur fad.

Thanks for sharing these pics, I doubt there are many of them.

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, amazing that somebody took so many photos (and that they came out so well!) of this short-lived ride. I never had a chance to ride it, so this is the only way I can get a real idea of what it was like. I keep hearing about the boysenberry smell, and I want a law passed so that everything smells like that!

Marcy Massura said...

Oh my this was my favorite ride at Knotts as a kid. It was immediately followed by getting a Boysenberry topped funnel cake! Boyenberry is still my favorite jelly and pie- I blame this ride for that!
Thanks for these rare pics...

outsidetheberm said...

Very nice, my friend!

Are these from video? The lighting looks exceptionally harsh.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Thanks for the comments. Ken- these are all printed on Kodak stock with a 1982 date. I believe the person was one of those who did not obey the no flash picture policy.

BobAndJulie said...

Wow! What a great collection of pictures. Thanks for sharing!

-Bob

Jay Jennings said...

Thanks for the trip back into time.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

I remember that ride!
The jam factory scene actually smelled like berries.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great stuff as usual. Pictures of this ride's interior are pretty rare, as i'm sure you know. Ehehe. I give hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

Anyone else remember Knotts Scary Tales during the park's month-long Halloween Haunt?

Anonymous said...

i remember Knott's Scary tales.it wasnt that scary for the ride during halloween haunt.but it sure did have very creppy props.many of the figures were covered,frogs were gone,and dr.fox becomes dr. death.

Anonymous said...

I just recently posted a post of the ride and ridethrough.its on my blog if you guys are interested.

Anonymous said...

this was my favorite ride as a kid my sisters and i rode it hundreds of times it takes me back i can still remember the smell it smelled so good in there we were so sad when they took it out by far to me it was the best ride they ever had i can still remember getting off the ride the walkway was moving i i would go back to knotts if they put it back the same way the same sounds i can still hear the frogs in the frog jumping contest it was a great ride if only we could go back in time