Friday, January 27, 2006

South Seas Shell Fountain and Tikis Marineland of the Pacific July 1963

I don't think I ever went to Marineland of the Pacific during my childhood. Growing up in San Diego, my Grandparents would always take me to Sea World. So, I missed seeing this wonderful Shell fountain and South Sea's Garden with two large Tikis at Marineland on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Marineland did have some wonderful structures such as the large Oceanarium stadium where the shows were held and the restaurant with the shell ceiling. I have visited the site several times just to see what is left and it is not much. Another one of the extinct parks with just memories for those lucky enough to have actually been there during its heyday. Image is from a Kodachrome slide marked Jul 63.

4 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Wow! That has to be the other side of the shell fountain, located just outside the Marineland Restaurant (there is a fairly common postcard of this) - but I had no idea there were tikis!!!!

Fascinating.

Chris Merritt said...

Well - since I can't seem to figure out how to post images in the comment section here - I posted a link to this entry & some of my Marineland stuff that relates here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18157&forum=1&0

gg said...

When I was a kid, my family went to Marineland several times and one day went to eat at The Marineland Restaurant. This shell fountain was one of the best fountains I had ever seen. It had amber and red underwater lights and so many shells. I have never forgotten it.

gg said...

This shell fountain was just the most fabulous creations I have ever seen. My parents took us to Marineland several times when we were kids. We got to eat at the Marineland Restaurant twice. I was enraptured by this fountain ---had to be dragged away from it. I agree with the other comment about the amber and red underwater lights. They were the BEST! Never got to go in the Porpoise Room b/c it was a bar and kids weren't allowed in those days. I wish I could have seen the giant clam fountain. Thanks for this page! Gary