Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ambush Rock Tom Sawyers Island Early 1960s

This view comes from a Kodachrome slide circa early 1960s. I love the lady in plaid pants standing on top of ambush rock on Tom Sawyers Island. In the lower left hand can be seen the rustic signs pointing to the various locations on the Island. Some of my strongest memories of being at Disneyland are of playing and running around Tom Sawyers Island, especially the caves. My favorite was always the escape tunnel from Fort Wilderness. I also enjoyed the spinning and balancing (teeter totter) rock and who can forget the tree house and its commanding view of New Orleans Square. Although still quite enjoyable, today's TSI pales in comparison to the one of the 1970s. Or maybe that is just my nostalgia clouding my mind. Anyways, a wonderful view and remember to beware of ambushes from ladies wearing plaid pants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Looking forward to more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this memory! I was recently telling a friend about the teetering and spinning rocks from my childhood and when we finally got over to TSI, I thought it must have been a figment of my imagination. This is a great photo!

Connie Moreno said...

Those pants!!!