Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Where Were You in August 1981? (Part 3)

Part 3 of this series of slides showcases the old Fantasyland. Within 2 years Fantasyland would be remade and themed to a castle courtyard rather than the Renaissance Faire style. For the sign geeks, check out the Mad Hatter ticket booth, the shield for the Mad Hatter and the shield with the red Griffin. Also check out the Tea Party with the white garden style of fencing.

Next up is a nice view King Arthur's Carrousel in action.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I didn't know that they used those cloth shades that hung across Fantasyland as late as the 1980's. You see lots of pictures from the 60's with those!

JG said...

Beautiful. I remember everything but the cloth shades...this time period is in my hiatus, so maybe these were only put up later in time.

Thank you.

JG

Anonymous said...

I worked in Fantasyland in 1980-1981, at what the park called,
"Fan 2." Just Fantasyland food number 2. I twas the place with the large purple and white metal umbrella as its roof. It was part of the structure of the "Alice in Wonderland" ride. Some of the food names were, "Nottingham Burger" (standard park burger) or "Little John" (Open face with chili and cheese) and so on. It was regularly close to 100 F every day in that kitchen during the summer. You could work over four 400F french fryers and make $4.00 an hour! Yippee! Hey minimum wage was only $3.35 then.
One thing I'll always remember was being in the park before it opened at 8AM on a clear sunny day. I'd walk from the cast changing rooms behind ("Tomorrowland") to my workstation (just past the "Matterhorn") and not see a soul, only hear birds chirping. Beautiful !

bj

Connie Moreno said...

WOW, that kid with the pirate had looks like my son!