Tuesday, August 02, 2011

2 Views of Frontierland

Today's post features two snapshots of Frontierland. First up is the Mark Twain heading out on another trip around Tom Sawyer's Island on the Rivers of America. The Columbia meanwhile appears to be undergoing some maintenance.

Next up is a great view of the old Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer's Island. Quite an interesting tableaux...in the upper left hand corner the boy (Major Pepperidge as a youngster?) is getting ready to pour his drink on an unsuspecting guest, the man in the middle holding the merchandise bag is checking his echo at the well and the family on the right hand side is perusing a souvenir map to figure out where to go next. I also like the sailor in his uniform.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I would spit on people, but I would never pour my drink on anyone. The very idea! Those drinks were expensive. ;-)

Doesn't it look like that guy is looking at the *back* of his souvenir map?

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, that well had a drinking fountain built into the side of it. The water never had much pressure and tasted like warm hose water.

Connie Moreno said...

OMG, I almost spit out my iced tea when I read that crack about the Major, LOL!!!!

That second picture is a treasure for me because I have NO recollection of the fort back then.

Chiana_Chat said...

That tableaux is great people watching fun, '59. As it was at the old Fort! May it return...

Looks like the sailor is using implications made by the setting to aid his endeavors at catching a lady friend. ;)

geez both Fort Wilderness at DL and Fort Wilderness at WDW have seen better days! They're a long ways from broke and people could connect with the back to greener days thing more than ever so what's up with that?

I like the 'Twain pic too especially for the choppy water / chuggin' stern wheel river feel.

Anonymous said...

I like the look of that sailor as well. Come to Daddy!