Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wally Boag on the Radio

In the early years of Disneyland, Wally Boag was on the ABC radio network with a show recorded at Disneyland called Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. Part of the show was that two families would be chosen, and one would get a golden key to Disneyland along with lots of prizes. This was a common radio promotion and program at the time. One of the sponsors of the show was Mohawk Carpets. First up is an image of Wally on the radio at Disneyland.

The producer was Les Lear and he sent out a transcript with recordings of the advertising for Mohawk Carpets. Note on the letterhead at the bottom is the information and tag line for the radio show.

The moment you all have been waiting for, two examples of Wally on the radio. In the second commercial, check out Wally extolling Popeye Popcorn.

Mohawk Commercial 1

Mohawk Commercial 2

9 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I have never heard about that radio show before! Amazing. If you have audio of Wally, have you ever heard a more complete show?

I think Wally is with the Andrews Sisters in that first photo (don't know who the other guy is).

Katella Gate said...

Too Weird! I've never heard Wally use his speaking voice this much, and I'm a little creeped out how closely his natural voice melody sounds like his "Jose" voice from the Tiki Room.

jedblau said...

Cool! Never heard of this!

SundayNight said...

Great post. Really interesting audio clips. Major: That is indeed the Andrews sisters with Wally

Matterhorn1959 said...

Major- I have not heard a full show, this is the most I have heard from the show.

Gene Sands said...

In our book that Wally and I wrote, "Wally Boag, Clown Prince of Disneyland," we discuss the daily ABC radio show he and Donald Novis did from Disneyland called "Your Happy Holiday." Wally did save a few audio tapes of those shows and we hope to eventually release them. I'm not familiar with the radio show discussed here.

Gene Sands

Katella Gate said...

Hooray! I was the first one to look at Gene Sands (blank) profile. Do I get a door prize like a Boag Baloon?

Seriously, thanks for your contribution Gene, much appreciated and I know I am looking forward to hearing the tapes you mention.

Anonymous said...

I believe that is longtime Andrews Sisters arranger and bandleader Vic Schoen pictured with Boag and the Andrews. RIP Wally. - William Carroll, Denham Springs, Louisiana

Katella Gate said...

Thanks for the note about Wally's passing on the 3rd of this month. Betty Taylor passed the day after.