Friday, June 29, 2007

Souvenir Friday- Coney Island Postcard plus a Mary Blair Piece

Today I thought I would show two recent purchases. The first is of the Bobsled ride at Coney Island. The postcard shows the front of this nice roller coaster ride located at Coney Island. The card has a Coney Island postmark for 1944 and written greetings Having a Big time here. Shore is a nice day.

One of the reasons I decided to post this image today is that I read an article yesterday that a large chunk of Coney had been purchased by a redeveloper and he was planning to revitalize Coney. One of the fears is that he wants to put housing on the land, leading many to believe that the nature of Coney will be lost and the amusements will eventually be gone. Although not the place it once was, Coney is still an amazing slice of life. With new activities such as the Mermaid Parade and the world famous Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest, the area has seen a resurgence of people and activities. Let's hope the redeveloper will do the right thing and restore Coney to an amusement location rather than a housing development.

The second image is a Little Golden Books advertising postcard from the Mary Blair book I Can Fly. I love the graphic of the girl on the swing. I found this at a postcard show and was thrilled to get it. I hoped for other cards, but the dealer only had this one.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Think of the history behind Coney Island...it kills me to think that it might be destroyed. Nobody values amusement parks, apparenly - - even if they've been there for over 100 years.

I believe that the Steel Pier in Atlantic City is going to be changed forever as well. Sad.

nicolereber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.