Monday, April 13, 2009

A Christmas Trip- Main Street Views

Moving always unearths items that have not seen the light of day in many years. The slides in this post and those to come were purchased about 5 years ago, stuck in a box and not found until I moved again. The photographer was fairly talented and managed to take some interesting views. The first three are of scenes on Main Street. The Gurrmobile Carnation truck has never looked as nice as in this picture. I like the detail of the early California license plate. In the background can be seen the Bluebird shoe store.

The photographer also snapped this image of the Keystone Kop giving directions in front of the INA exhibit located at Plaza Apartments. Dave- as a warning do not look as it includes a stroller, albeit a rather crude, early stroller. I also like the Christmas display.

The last shot is the reason I purchased the slides. A little girl registers shock that poor Grannie is not alive, and that she has just entered the Wizard of Bras! I love the Hollywood- Maxwell logo design on the sign.

6 comments:

Thufer said...

the last picture shows my favorite place in the park to just sit and 'people watch'. thanks for that.

Daveland said...

The 2D Xmas Decoration in Pic 2 is fantastic! Probably one of the best Hollywood Maxwell exterior shots I've seen, too - the little girl is icing on the cake!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Oh man! These are beauty shots.

Best shot of the Intimate Apparel shop I have ever seen.

The Carnation picture has the Blue Bird Shoes shop sign in it.

Kind of cheesy Xmas decorations at the Plaza Apts, but you wouldn't have known that then.

Great ones, Matterhorn. Thank you.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

These are sweet, you're right, the Carnation Truck is looking its finest right there! THANKS! P.s. I love finding goodies I forgot about years ago, I think I lose things on purpose...

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, three exceptional photos in one post! I've never seen that interesting Christmas artwork above the Plaza Apartments (even without it, that would be a great photo), and that really is the best photo of the Intimate Apparel shop ever!

Katella Gate said...

Here's a photo of a 1919 delivery truck I saw at SHORPY.COM a few weeks ago. I've been holding on to the URL cause I knew it was a matter of time before the Carnation Wagon showed up again.

I wonder if this was Gurr's prototype? As usual, he's worked his magic turning a ho-hum starting point into a memorable Disney Vehicle.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/5818?size=_original