Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Boxcar of Pennies

As part of a discussion on Major Pepperidge's Gorilla's Don't Blog I mentioned a lucky winner of a boxcar of pennies. Here is the lucky winner Raymond Sleeper of Hawaii who was the 10 millionth passenger on the Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad. Seen with Raymond is Walt Disney wearing a nice engineers cap with a large Santa Fe cross (and no mention of Disneyland) and Engineer Bill from the Cartoon Express on local Los Angeles channel 9. The blurb states Raymond received a "boxcar" of 10,000 pennies ($100.) I wonder if they were wheat pennies. Article and photo are dated August 3, 1960.

1 comment:

Major Pepperidge said...

What a fun photo, I've heard so much about Engineer Bill from folks older than me...they all fondly remember him. 10,000 pennies, I swear I saved that many in a huge old cranberry juice jug, I could not lift it by the time it was full.

Speaking of pennies, I recently got an indian-head penny (1906) in my change! How can that be....?