Friday, September 22, 2006

Souvenir Friday- Tahitian Terrace Postcard and Menu

One of the most fondly remembered restaurants in Disneyland is the Tahitian Terrace in Adventureland. Most people have great memories of going there and watching the South Pacific Hula Dances and Fire walkers. These are a couple of the scarce souvenirs, a postcard of the interior of the restaurant published in 1965. I believe the dancers in this image are not the dancers in the show, but rather cast members posing for the photographer. The same goes for the guests. The menu below is an early 1970s menu and is in a smaller souvenir size but features the great art of the early menus. When I look at Josh Agles work (Shag), I see this menu. I much prefer the original...



I have discovered a fairly new blog of pictures of 1980s and 1990s Disneyland, along with some older images and it is well worth a visit. The blog is Videblog.

6 comments:

Daveland said...

I love Shag’s work, and especially his recent Disneyland stuff, however, there is nothing as cool as real retro. You just can’t recreate it as well as it was originally done.

Major Pepperidge said...

I never thought about it, but I'll bet you are right regarding the "dancers" on that postcard! Phonies, posers!

That menu is one of the most amazing Disneyland items, graphically...I would love to get a full-sized menu someday. I believe that there are lunch and dinner menus, slightly different

Anonymous said...

It's me... your newest fan. I had to chime in on this one because I worked at the Terrace in 1980. I was the Punchie, which meant I sereved up the tall purple drinks and scooped ice cream. The "flamed" ice cream on the menu was a scoop of ice cream topped with a bread crouton soaked in what seemed like pure alcohol (technically making the Terrace the only other restaurnt besides Club 33 to serve alcohol) and set on fire. The girls would always blow out the flame and take the crouton away when serving. The other memory of that summer was Marlon Brando eating there and leaving a $25 tip for a party of 4. I think the whole tab was only $15. Keep up the good work.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Thanks anonymous. I have heard that story with Brando before. And Major- I have a full size Orange and Green and both are dinner menus. I am looking for a lunch menu in the full size.

Anonymous said...

Actually the art on the menus looks more like the style of Derek Yaniger than it does the style of SHAG.

http://www.derekart.com/bottomsup.html

Anonymous said...

Can any of you verify a menu item I think I remember from the 70's? Tiki Dogs (hotdog with pineapple, cherries and sweet and sour sauce) Went there with a high school group and had a bit of deja vu when I came across this site :)

Thanks!