Saturday, June 28, 2008

Unusual Views of Disneyland

The photographer of the Chicken of the Sea images I put up on Thursday also took some other unusual perspective images. The first is one of the skulls from the front entrance to Adventureland. I believe the skulls were removed fairly early as being too gruesome. The title written on the slide by the photographer is a kind of poetry- Adventureland Skull Pole.

The second slide is marked Adventureland Mill Pond. The image is of an early structure on Tom Sawyers Island with the Old Mill Stream flowing down. This is before the full theming of the island.

6 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW, both unusual indeed. The second one is fantastic, rare as can be :-) Thanks for these Saturday Treats!

Jen said...

Wonderful photos. I agree, the second one is truly beautiful.

Katella Gate said...

Well, I never thought I'd see those sculls up close again. They were removed right about 1964-65 I think. We lived in SoCal and went to the Park several times a year. My earliest memories date from 64 and I distinctly remember the sculls being there and then suddenly gone.

Major Pepperidge said...

Cool skull shot, and the TSI photo sure doesn't look like it's from an amusement park!

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Is that a real skull?

Katella Gate said...

Namowal, never fear, no bodies were desecrated in the making of this Magic Kingdom ... it's a prop. The bones of the nose and cheeks are not correct.

What I find fascinating is it's so gruesome. You won't see that kind of thing till the 90's when rotting-flesh corpse art really took off and enriched all our lives.