Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Casa De Fritos Dining Area 1950s

The only restaurant my family always dined at was Casa De Fritos (changed to Casa Mexicana in later years) on our annual trips to Disneyland. In fact I have some home movie footage of my grandparents and parents trip to Disneyland in 1957 and my grandmother proudly stands in front of the Casa De Fritos sign. This image shows the dining area with a thatched roof, a western and then an adobe style building next to each other and what is my favorite, the bright basic color chairs and tables. I am unsure of date of this slide as I only found a few slides together. It is an Anscochrome slide which was a competitor to Kodachrome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there ~
Love this photo. We've been working on a story about the "Birth of the Frito" for our NPR radio series "Hidden Kitchens" and this photo of Casa De Fritos is wonderful. Is this a family photo ? We're gathering material for our NPR web story page and for our own site www.kitchensisters.org for "Birth of the Frito" and would love see if we could include a photo, a video clip & or story of yours into our mix. What do you think ?
If you like - email me at laura@kitchensisters.org
My brother-in-law, tv critic for the LA Times is a huge Disneyland fan...archivally speaking as well.
~ ciao, Laura Folger

Connie Moreno said...

I had to chuckle when I read your post. I remember when my parents tried the Mexican restaurant for the first time. They hated it, LOL. Being Mexican, we were used to my mom's home cooking so from then on, my Dad liked to get hot dogs at the Park. LOL!!